Eligibility & Criteria
The Black Men Achieve of Rochester Awards are open to all Black and young boys who reside in the Greater Rochester community as well as any local organization within the Greater Rochester community. Eligibility period for the Black Men Achieve of Rochester Awards entries are January 1, 2018 – December 31, 2018.
First and foremost, please consider the award criteria and determine whether the person and/or organization you wish to nominate would be an appropriate recipient of the award in which you are nominating them for.
Gather all the information requested on the nominee to successfully complete your nomination form. Click on the Nominate link and input the required information into the nomination form.
*Please note that you may nominate yourself and or organizations that you are part of.*
When submitting your nomination, please fill in all required fields and double check your information. Please also include your name, address and contact information in case further information is required on the nominee.
It is important to note that BMA of Rochester Award recipients are not selected on the basis of write-in campaigning or the volume of nominations an individual and/or organization receives. A single nomination will place the individual’s and/or organization’s name in consideration for the award.
The deadline for submitting nominations is Friday, March 15, 2019. Nominations received afterwards will not be considered.
The nominee must be a Black male 18 years and older who resides in the Greater Rochester Community and/or a local organization or business located within the Greater Rochester Community.
- The nominee must be active in the Rochester community.
- You may nominate yourself.
- The Future Man of the Year Award is open to Black males 17 years and younger.
- Please review each award category for additional criteria.
- Evaluations are based on the quality of a nominee’s achievements and community involvement, rather than the quantity of information submitted.
- Please be complete and thorough. You must give specific examples and answer all questions on the nomination form.
- Please feel free to contact the nominee for information.
- Some award categories are generally awarded to an individual, but can be awarded to a small group of individuals in a case where the contribution is fully shared among them.
- Award recipients will not be notified of their nominator.
- The nominee may be required to submit a high res photo, a digital photo (e.g. jpeg or tiff formats) and a brief biography.
Award Selection Criteria
Nominations will be reviewed for the quality and impact of the nominee’s service, achievements, community involvement and contributions to the Rochester community. Nominations can focus on an important body of service contributions over a significant period of time, or one particularly influential contribution.
The members of the Selection Committee rank the finalists in each category based on the degree to which the nominee meets one or more the following criteria:
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to the improvement of the life outcomes of men and young boys of color.
- Promotes and enhances the positive images of men and young boys of color
- Demonstrates significant accomplishments within their particular field.
- Demonstrates outstanding contributions to the Rochester community through sustained excellence in the quality of his/their work; integrity and dedication; leadership within their respective organization.
- Mentoring activities.
- Demonstrated philanthropy.
- Positive role model whose contributions encourages others
Nominations should address these factors, as well as the criteria set forth in the “Submission Criteria” herein above, and any other factors the nominator(s) believe illuminate the nominee’s qualifications.